According to the article (http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/five-questions-about-the-big-tpp-negotiations-1.2587022), there are five key questions regarding what is at stake with the TPP agreement, as follows:
- Would the TPP agreement eliminate NAFTA? No. NAFTA would continue to exist, but certain parts would be superseded by the new agreement.
- What will happen to Canada’s auto sector? It depends on who you ask. Some auto-parts companies are solidly in support of the new deal, while some are adamantly against it.
- Will there be more imports of foreign dairy? Almost certainly. According to some sources, the U.S. has requested and opening of the Canadian dairy market greater than the 2% share that they granted to Europe in the Canada-EU deal.
- Will drug prices go up? Possibly. The U.S. is demanding greater protection for pharmaceutical companies as well as longer exclusivity for cutting-edge medical treatments, which could increase prices.
- Could this affect Canada’s election? Absolutely. The race is a nail-biter, and depending on how successful the industries affected by the TPP are, the election could go either way.